Friday, December 18, 2009

Trying to be as creative as Bakerella!

Let's just say I will never be as creative as Bakerella nor do I have as much patience as she MUST have!! However, I have really been wanting to try out her most basic recipe for red velvet cake balls and I finally did right before Thanksgiving. Bakerella has amazing pictures on her blog but I attempted to do a few of my own....here goes...

First you crumble up the baked cake and mix in the icing. Someday I'd like to try another flavor/icing combination but this one is very rich. I also should have used a little less icing than the whole can...I wouldn't have minded them being a tiny bit drier.

Next you shape them into little balls and put them in the freezer for a little while.

Then you dip them into melted dipping chocolate...I just used our store brand and it was easy to melt and delicious. I tried different dipping techniques but just using a spoon like bakerella says seems to be the easiest unless you are making her cake pops and using a stick. I just had to try a bite to see what all the fuss was about...YUM!

Here are some of the finished products. I drizzled leftover chocolate on some of them and it made for quite a pretty plateful. I would NOT recommend doing a double batch, like I did, your very first time...you'll be at it for quite awhile.

Some prefer white chocolate.

The double recipe made about 125 cake balls...I shared all but a few with the teachers at our elementary school and supposedly they were quite the hit.


I dare you to try out some of the other cake pop recipes that bakerella has so creatively made. She also has some other delicious looking recipes. Her Cupcake Pops are adorable!